Construction and cultural stronghold on the Rhine
The Ehrenbreitstein Fortress is a fortification complex located opposite the Deutsches Eck in Koblenz. Its Baroque predecessor, which fell on a castle erected around the year 1000 was temporarily residence of the Electors of Trier and blown up by French revolutionary troops in 1801. Used by the Prussian army for military purposes until 1918, the fixed Ehrenbreitstein served in the system of Koblenz fortifications to secure the Middle Rhine Valley and the entire transport infrastructure, ie. rail routes and river crossings in Koblenz.
Today it is owned by the state of Rhineland-Palatinate and houses the National Museum Koblenz, the Koblenz hostel, the memorial of the German Army as well as various administrative bodies. Fot the National Garden Show 2011 in Koblenz the foreland and parts of the fortress area were incorporated into their own meeting space. On the foreland a generous landscaped park with lookout platform was created.
Cable car from the Deutsches Eck to the Ehrenbreitstein
Also at the National Garden Show 2011 one of the most powerful cable cars in the world was installed for visitors and guests to transport guests from the Deutsches Eck to the Fortress Ehrenbreitstein. The cable car Koblenz transports up to 7,500 passengers per hour and offers, thanks to the large windows in the cabins, a panoramic view while driving.
Fortress Ehrenbreitstein • 56077 Koblenz • www.diefestungehrenbreitstein.deBook room